Skip to main content

Snakes and Stuff - Joytown Day 3

As a third day of data collection came to a close, I was all over the place with heart rate data on watches and spreadsheets and papers. My head was about ready to explode when I though I'd lost a whole afternoon's worth of data. But my brain survives to think another day thanks to my cheerful team, calming prof, and the super tech-savy David (A part-time student member of our team who happened to be in Africa this summer with his son and came to visit us at Joytown).

Today we worked with students from the secondary school (high school) next door in our studies and it was a total blessing! I was weary at first about how the wheelchair runs would go with them because of my experience with U.S. high school students/youth who generally tend to put up the attitude of "I'm just too cool for this". But I found a group of bright, engaging people who were reletively interested and excited about participating in our studies. I was surprised when asking someone's birth date to realize they were near my age within a year or even older than me. My head has been so geared toward working with kids, its awesome to get to talk to subjects who are going through a similar stage of life (although in drastically different settings). I met one girl, Charity, who shares in my dream of being a doctor. Maybe one day I'll wander back to Kenya and we'll start a clinic together or something. :)

High-lights from the day include:

  • 10:30 tea (chai) time with the Joytown therapists and high school students. We definitely need to start having this in the states...
  • The slithery visitor outside our work space that just happened to be poisonous but was quickly killed by a rock as a crowd of children gathered and giggled and screeched in delighted disgust. 
  • Getting an entire piece of chapati at lunchtime. Before I had only seen pizza-shaped triangles, this baby was a full face-sized circle of goodness!
  • Finding some max-strength anti-itch cream for the constellation of unidentified bug bites around my ankles/foot. Note to self: bring socks longer than ankle-length to Kenya and forget the Off bug spray, it seems to be nothing but icing on the cake for the dang creatures...
  • Mercy, once again saving my brain and continuing to teach me Swahili words
  • The smiles and small conversations with various kids around Joytown. Especially when Charity's quaint voice asked me for a "pitchure?"


Oh, another futbol game is playing tonight and our buddies over the fence are having a repeat party. Let's hope there's no overtime on this one...

Comments

  1. Emily,

    Thanks so much for the daily updates. It is great to hear how your research is going and your impressions of Kenya. I'm glad you have been able to make friends there while you work.
    I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh the Americans are here. Make spaghetti.

Tuesday and Wednesday passed quickly and easily as we now all adjusted to Kenya time (Goodbye jet lag!) and were back to our Joytown research routine. We knew what had to get done and the time we had to do it in.   SACDEP welcomed us back with a Tuesday meal including "American food" aka spaghetti noodles. Just noodles. Haha Thanks, Kenya. We continued our wheelchair research at Joytown Primary School and got to return to the Secondary School (Kenyan High School equivalent) for a second survey time with the students. I realized through this survey that although we are very different, Kenyans and Americans, much is the same. High school students are high school students. They are teenagers. Some with attitudes, most with dreams, and all of them with lives that are just as real and crazy to understand as my own. *Philosophical vent over* Once our survey work was finished, Danielle decided to jump in and join a group of Secondary girls rehearsing songs for an upcoming talen

Crazy Saturday morning, wonderful Saturday day

I woke up this morning to meowing, barking, and the house trying to implode. Okay, okay so the meowing was the ringtone of Danielle's Kenyan phone, the barking was actually a dog (Emma), and the imploding house was really just a compo of Emma (dog) slamming herself against the laundry room door and two Kenyan women knocking forcefully on the locked back door, determined to sell us stuff…. at 8:30am on a Saturday morning.  Funsies. My just-woke-up-to-chaos brain was only more confused when I answered Danielle's phone to find another lady rambling loudly at me in Swahili. I answered in confused English, she replied in confused, rapid Swahili. Great. The morning finally settled out as I read some emails from our host family about the house (such as what to do with barking dog, how to unlock doors, what time Aidah the house-sitter would come by) and woke up enough to process things. At this point, Aidah the house-sitter appeared at the door (which I now knew how to unlock!

Ecuador!

The posts may have stopped for a while but the beat of a traveling heart continues!  This past December, a t the beginning of winter break, I traveled to Ecuador with my father, my head pastor, and another pastor from my home church: International Full Gospel Fellowship (IFGF) of Austin, TX.  My time in Ecuador was very beautiful very fast! Three different cities in three days plus a day on either side of travel time.    I never realized how diverse the country of Ecuador is! Imagine beach, jungle, and mountain climates scattered with villages, towns and cities that are filled with over 21 different ethnic groups. The capital, Quito, has a population of around 2 million people.  W e enjoyed some wonderful food on our trip, which included fire roasted tilapia wrapped in banana tree leaves, armadillo meat, and roasted palm tree weevil larvae. The purpose of this journey was not, unfortunately, to eat but to conduct training sessions for leaders of se