Skip to main content

London Calling...

Our first day in London was a total success!

I'll try to keep this brief because I am pretty much dead tired... Hey I only traveled halfway around the world today. Yesterday and today have blended into one giant long super-day with 3 to 4 hours of plane sleep in between. It's 10:23 pm right now in London yet only 4:30 pm in the states and my body feels like its 2:00 am.

Bleh.

The flight over was actually pretty awesome! I watched the first half of Les Miserables, the first 20 minutes of Finding Nemo, then blasted some Beethoven while reading up on some African Friends and Money Matters  for Kenya. I finally got some shut eye when the flight crew turned off all the cabin lights including personal overhead lamps. Well if you twist my arm... ;) Also, I enjoyed some of the best food I've ever eaten  at 30,000 ft in the air. I ordered a "Special meal" and ended up getting a "Hindu dinner" which consisted of some of my favorite Indian dishes: chicken tikka masala curry, chick peas, and nan. Landing in London was almost too interesting for comfort when our pilot suddenly pulled the plane up from the original landing pattern due to another plane that was taking too long on the runway. Yikes.

After landing in London, we navigated our way through the tube system to our hotel for the night, The Highbury Center, then decided to spend the rest of our afternoon at The British Museum. We stayed until closing then hopped a double-decker bus back to our side of town. We finished our evening with a sit down meal at a pretty awesome Italian place, which I don't remember the name of... Let's just say that Gnochi alla Romana went straight to my eyelids along with all the travel fatigue.

I absolutely love the city of London, in just the brief time we've been here. It's got a hustle-bustle quality to it that is very similar to New York but with a touch of old-world charm. The traffic is crazy but it seems to flow, a sometimes teeth-gritting mix of cars and taxis and buses and crazy little speedy cyclists. The metro system here is amazing. I swear, its what metro was meant to be. Super convenient, timely, and fun. Of course this is coming from someone who's spent less than a day using it. :)

Speaking of "days", this one is quickly coming to an end I am sorely needing the sleep. Hope everyone is enjoying their afternoon in sunny Texas (or wherever you are). It's cold here!

Aberdeen Park - walking from our hotel to Central London

You get more than a phone call with this baby

Brit Museum 

King Tutt ;)

Greek War Horse (a.k.a. what jet-lag feels like)

Ending the day with some UK Italian

Blending into the wallpaper


London street view


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh the Americans are here. Make spaghetti.

Tuesday and Wednesday passed quickly and easily as we now all adjusted to Kenya time (Goodbye jet lag!) and were back to our Joytown research routine. We knew what had to get done and the time we had to do it in.   SACDEP welcomed us back with a Tuesday meal including "American food" aka spaghetti noodles. Just noodles. Haha Thanks, Kenya. We continued our wheelchair research at Joytown Primary School and got to return to the Secondary School (Kenyan High School equivalent) for a second survey time with the students. I realized through this survey that although we are very different, Kenyans and Americans, much is the same. High school students are high school students. They are teenagers. Some with attitudes, most with dreams, and all of them with lives that are just as real and crazy to understand as my own. *Philosophical vent over* Once our survey work was finished, Danielle decided to jump in and join a group of Secondary girls rehearsing songs for an upcoming talen

Crazy Saturday morning, wonderful Saturday day

I woke up this morning to meowing, barking, and the house trying to implode. Okay, okay so the meowing was the ringtone of Danielle's Kenyan phone, the barking was actually a dog (Emma), and the imploding house was really just a compo of Emma (dog) slamming herself against the laundry room door and two Kenyan women knocking forcefully on the locked back door, determined to sell us stuff…. at 8:30am on a Saturday morning.  Funsies. My just-woke-up-to-chaos brain was only more confused when I answered Danielle's phone to find another lady rambling loudly at me in Swahili. I answered in confused English, she replied in confused, rapid Swahili. Great. The morning finally settled out as I read some emails from our host family about the house (such as what to do with barking dog, how to unlock doors, what time Aidah the house-sitter would come by) and woke up enough to process things. At this point, Aidah the house-sitter appeared at the door (which I now knew how to unlock!

Ecuador!

The posts may have stopped for a while but the beat of a traveling heart continues!  This past December, a t the beginning of winter break, I traveled to Ecuador with my father, my head pastor, and another pastor from my home church: International Full Gospel Fellowship (IFGF) of Austin, TX.  My time in Ecuador was very beautiful very fast! Three different cities in three days plus a day on either side of travel time.    I never realized how diverse the country of Ecuador is! Imagine beach, jungle, and mountain climates scattered with villages, towns and cities that are filled with over 21 different ethnic groups. The capital, Quito, has a population of around 2 million people.  W e enjoyed some wonderful food on our trip, which included fire roasted tilapia wrapped in banana tree leaves, armadillo meat, and roasted palm tree weevil larvae. The purpose of this journey was not, unfortunately, to eat but to conduct training sessions for leaders of se