Skip to main content

Apply yourself

Metal trays. Heat lamps. Serving spoons.  Each food scooped into it's own little compartment. All of a sudden I'm back in elementary school when my biggest worries were counting the ticks on the mysterious analogue clock till recess and who I would sit by for lunch. But I'm not in elementary school. I'm sitting at a table in the Rift Valley Academy cafeteria of Kijabe, Kenya with an orthopedic surgeon and his family for Sunday lunch, anxiously pushing my food around out of it's tray compartments. Reorganizing. I attempt to keep a calm face as I listen to the advice of a practicing physician who has spent several years on a medical school admission board and I feel thoughts race frantically around my head. Reorganizing. 

For the past 6 months, I have been fighting with myself in a horrible ping-pong match of what to do with my immediate future. Team A: For better or for worse, apply this cycle to medical school. Team B: re-take the MCAT (the brand new, twice as long 2015 MCAT by the way…), strengthen my score & experience, and apply next cycle with some medical scribing under my belt. At the end of the school semester, this decision seemed settled. But this lunch sent the whole thing into another round of frantic ping-pong bouncing. Team A's victory began to give way to team B. By the direct comment of Dr. Davis (this new orthopedic surgeon acquaintance),  my MCAT score is indeed in need of strengthening. At the direct advice of Dr. Jayakar (a cardiac surgeon whom I greatly respect), medical scribing is unforgettable experience that would prepare me incredibly for the application process and a life in medicine. I've been so focused on pushing through and getting to the next step, and so worried about the outcome, that I've ignored some pretty obvious, important things. I know what I want to do to feel prepared for applications to medical school. Is it what I need to do? Is it something  I am able to do time and money-wise? Being prepared mentally, academically, physically, and spiritually for medical school (including the application process) follows no "traditional  timeline". It's different for each person. And vitally important. Hmm.

All I know now, is that I've got some serious thinking to do over the next week during my time shadowing at Kijabe hospital.

Today's highlight's include:
  • AIC Kijabe "African" Church service complete with children's choir (adorable…)
  • Sacrificial tea drinking and bread eating for a milk and gluten-intolerant Danielle. She snuck me her cup and slices so we could both accept the church elder's hospitality (by consuming our tea items) and keep Danielle from digestive hell. Also, I just love tea. Win, win.
  • "American" Rift Valley Academy church service (that's right, two churches in one morning. Double Jesus points! ;) It also saved us from walking down and back up the hill between AIC church and lunch)
  • Lunch w/ Dr. Davis. This count's as a highlight because he invited us to a super secret doctor meeting for the coming Friday. (super secret doctor meeting = the morbidity/mortality report meeting where the hospital's doctors gather to hear about recent important cases, major mistakes, successes, ect). This is something I could only DREAM to get to be part of at a US hospital (too many laws).
  • Med school freak-out. A highlight because it needed to happen.
  • Baboons! Yeah, they're a lot bigger than I thought. And apparently they steal vegetables from peoples gardens or ENTIRE SHEEP. Aka: they're the semi-vegetarian Chupacabras of Africa.
  • Data sorting. Always good to get organized
  • Video chats with friends. (Yay good wi-fi!)
  • Pictures and laughter. This consisted of Dr. Sasaki sharing his photos from his weekend safari and me rediscovering a certain photo album from my 2013 Kenya trip. Our group kept noticing a strangely frequent appearance of photos with animal butts in them. So, naturally, I compiled an album entitled "The Butts of Africa". Yes, you're welcome to see it anytime.
  • Leftover dinner from Aidah. Yum.
  • Dishwashing and more laughter. "Dishwasher? I barely know her!" Joke tip to Danielle.
AIC Kenyan church

Run, baboons, run.

Emma guarding the house like a boss



Comments

  1. Praying wisdom & peace over your decisions. Seek Him - He is the source of both of these building blocks in this process. Enjoy every amazing moment of this trip. I love you, I'm proud of you & support your figuring out the right steps along your journey of life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh the Americans are here. Make spaghetti.

Tuesday and Wednesday passed quickly and easily as we now all adjusted to Kenya time (Goodbye jet lag!) and were back to our Joytown research routine. We knew what had to get done and the time we had to do it in.   SACDEP welcomed us back with a Tuesday meal including "American food" aka spaghetti noodles. Just noodles. Haha Thanks, Kenya. We continued our wheelchair research at Joytown Primary School and got to return to the Secondary School (Kenyan High School equivalent) for a second survey time with the students. I realized through this survey that although we are very different, Kenyans and Americans, much is the same. High school students are high school students. They are teenagers. Some with attitudes, most with dreams, and all of them with lives that are just as real and crazy to understand as my own. *Philosophical vent over* Once our survey work was finished, Danielle decided to jump in and join a group of Secondary girls rehearsing songs for an upcoming talen

Crazy Saturday morning, wonderful Saturday day

I woke up this morning to meowing, barking, and the house trying to implode. Okay, okay so the meowing was the ringtone of Danielle's Kenyan phone, the barking was actually a dog (Emma), and the imploding house was really just a compo of Emma (dog) slamming herself against the laundry room door and two Kenyan women knocking forcefully on the locked back door, determined to sell us stuff…. at 8:30am on a Saturday morning.  Funsies. My just-woke-up-to-chaos brain was only more confused when I answered Danielle's phone to find another lady rambling loudly at me in Swahili. I answered in confused English, she replied in confused, rapid Swahili. Great. The morning finally settled out as I read some emails from our host family about the house (such as what to do with barking dog, how to unlock doors, what time Aidah the house-sitter would come by) and woke up enough to process things. At this point, Aidah the house-sitter appeared at the door (which I now knew how to unlock!

Ecuador!

The posts may have stopped for a while but the beat of a traveling heart continues!  This past December, a t the beginning of winter break, I traveled to Ecuador with my father, my head pastor, and another pastor from my home church: International Full Gospel Fellowship (IFGF) of Austin, TX.  My time in Ecuador was very beautiful very fast! Three different cities in three days plus a day on either side of travel time.    I never realized how diverse the country of Ecuador is! Imagine beach, jungle, and mountain climates scattered with villages, towns and cities that are filled with over 21 different ethnic groups. The capital, Quito, has a population of around 2 million people.  W e enjoyed some wonderful food on our trip, which included fire roasted tilapia wrapped in banana tree leaves, armadillo meat, and roasted palm tree weevil larvae. The purpose of this journey was not, unfortunately, to eat but to conduct training sessions for leaders of se